Sunday, September 12, 2010

Being Brave

A time where I'm brave is when I had to explain everything that happened that night. Reminiscing on that day was the hardest thing to do because I had that memory locked up. Locked up so I could eventually forget about it. I was wrong. I had to suck it up and explore my thoughts for this memory that I wanted to get lost. I had to sit in front of this lady who I didn't know and tell her what had happened over 5 years ago. She said that I had to be brave and tell her what really happened because it was for the best of me.  I sat there and started my story. "I was 8 years old and I didn't know what I had gotten myself into. I thought it was a regular day. Like every other day, I came from school, did my homework, picked up my toys and watched the television waiting for my dad to come home from work while my mom was cooking dinner. Those days, everything felt weird. My dad was coming later than usual and I found myself not eating until later on that night because I would be too occupied waiting for my dad at the window where you can see out to the street. My mom came up to me that evening and asked me if I wanted to play spy. Me, as a kid, I loved playing games escpecially when it came down to playing with my mom. What I didn't know was that we were really going to be spies. Not as a game but in real life. Pulling up to my dad's job, I was so excited. I thought to myself, "Oh yea, I get to see my daddy." Then thats when that happy moment turned into a nightmare. A nightmare that is mostly a blurr. My mom telling me to be quiet as we just sat in the car watching my dad come down the stairs with his hands intertwined with another woman's hands. I was so confused. I didn't know what to do but cry. Me crying made my little sister cry. She was only 1 year old. The next 30 minutes was the worst time of my life. Screaming in the car because I had no clue what was going on but I did know that somebody was going to get hurt, if not physically, emotionally. The night became more intense. That was the night when I realized that words can damage a person's life forever. My mom slapped my dad. The lady didn't know what to do so she left the sight. My mom got in the car and I could see the hate in her eyes. I know now that that was when everything had changed. My little sister and me were still screaming and crying. My dad came to the window and told me to go with him. I was always close to my dad. I always wanted to be like him so ofcourse, I went. That made my mom more mad but I didn't know. I was only 8 and I knew that I had to do what my dad said. He took me to eat and thats when he poured the truth out to me. He told me that the love that him and my mom had was no longer there. He told me that he had found somebody else and that he was leaving. Yea, I was sad. I didn't know what that meant. All I knew was that I wasn't going to be seeing my dad every day like I had done for the first 8 years of my life. Like I said, after that day, everything had changed. My night ended with tears because all I could hear was my mom popping bottles open and crying. Her crying tainted my life for now I remember the sound. That day was the worst day of my life. I had partly lost my dad and I knew that I had lost my mom. Nothing was going to be the same." The lady was shocked on how much I was holding inside of me. She told me that it was brave of me for sharing that story with her. I wasn't proud.

1 comment: